Friday, January 18, 2013

Snowdrops are here -- Oops, no they're not!

So here is what I found by my front door on Tuesday.  I have seen some bulb foliage inching up, but I didn't think any had gotten this far.  Snow drops in January is not uncommon -- January 15th is a tad early.





Here is what they looked like on Thursday after a little thawing.  They are tough, will hide under the snow and keep flowering when it 'warms' up again.  Crocus and Rock Iris next...





I am a huge fan of bulbs in the garden.  They add months of flowers and color, and when planted in masses their impact can be stunning, especially at a time when there is little else to catch the eye.  Following are two posts on bulbs from this past summer.




While it is too late to plant for the spring here in New England, put a reminder in your calendar for next August to place your orders.

I hesitate to say that spring is around the corner since we haven't really been hit with winter yet, but I love seeing the hope of spring. 







10 comments:

  1. Hi Reed - Welcome to the party - I just added your blog to my Grow Your Blog party - I will be publishing the list in the morning. You will need to prepare a special post for the event - please reference the guidelines. I know its short notice for you - so if you could just maybe publish your post by tomorrow night or Sunday sometime - that will be fine - the earlier the better for you though as lots of people will be dropping by.

    I will drop by later as well to meet you and read your post! Hope you make lots of new friends!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our snowdrops have also emerged in one of the more protected, sunnier sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see snowdrops, crocus foliage and rock iris foliage, but with snow and 0 degree temps, they will all take a pause.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a lovely sight after winter. I'm stopping by from GYB! I see above that you were able to get in. Enjoy!!

    -Jade www.muffinteahouse.com
    (your new follower)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back! I'm nominating you for a Liebster Award!!! Check out my post with the details and let me know if you have any questions! It's all about bloggers getting to know each other and motivating each other!
      http://www.muffinteahouse.com/2013/01/leibster.html

      -Jade

      Delete
  4. I don't have any snowdrops planted but my daff foliage is popping up. I have tulips in pots that I'm excited about. Have you ever been to Carolyn's Shade garden's blog? She's a snowdrop expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do visit Carolyn, just wish I could visit her nursery one day. I only knew of a few species Snowdrops before I saw her crazy collection of different Snowdrops...let me know when they have a blue or yellow one...

      Delete
  5. You have a very lovely blog. I'm a new follower and a 'Grow Your Blog' participant. Have fun at the party!

    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No snowdrops here... just a lot of snowflakes! 1° F in my gardens this morning. But hey! We're dancin' in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snowdrops are living up to their name! We have snowflakes (leucojam) here, which are similar to snowdrops but bloom later.

    ReplyDelete